Call this direct line and speak with Rob immediately: (801) 363-8500
If you have sustained injuries in an accident caused by another party, you may want to get in touch with a personal injury lawyer in Salt Lake City, UT from Rasmussen & Miner. You may be entitled to receive compensation. A lawyer can help you file a claim against the negligent party and protect your legal rights.
How to Speak to an Insurance Adjuster After an Accident
Whether you were hurt in a slip and fall accident or vehicle collision, the defendant’s insurance company may try to contact you. What you say to the insurance adjuster can affect your compensation. Here are some tips for speaking to the insurance adjuster.
- Be truthful about the facts. When asked about the accident, just give the facts and don’t speculate. For example, if you were in a car accident, only provide the basic facts, like when and where the accident occurred and the names of the parties involved. If you are unsure about something, just say, “I don’t know.”
- Refuse a recorded statement. During the phone call, the insurance adjuster will likely ask you to provide a recorded statement. It is in your best interest to refuse. Recorded statements can’t be changed and may be used against you later to deny your claim.
- Don’t talk about pre-existing injuries. If you have any pre-existing injuries, you’ll want to leave out of your conversation with the insurance adjuster. If you admit that you have pre-existing injuries, the adjuster will argue that your latest injury is just an extension of your older one and deny your claim.
- Resist the urge to settle early. Never accept a settlement without discussing it with your personal injury lawyer in Salt Lake City, UT first. While it may be tempting to get your money and finish the process quickly, it is not a good idea. The insurance adjuster’s initial offer may not cover all of your losses. You don’t know the full extent of your injuries yet.
- Write down notes about your conversation. You don’t want your conversation with the insurance adjuster to be misconstrued. Therefore, your personal injury lawyer in Salt Lake City, UT may advise you to take notes of the conversation. Include the adjuster’s name and contact information, what the adjuster told you and the information you provided the adjuster.
Schedule a consultation with a personal injury lawyer in Salt Lake City, UT today.