Call this direct line and speak with Rob immediately: (801) 363-8500
Who Are Victims of Bicycle Accidents?
A top rated bicycle accident lawyer in Salt Lake City UT knows that injuries from bike accidents can cause both physical and financial difficulties for the victim and their family. Unlike being in a vehicle when hit, a bicycle offers no protection so the injuries are often serious to catastrophic and require long recovery and rehab.
At Rasmussen & Miner, a top rated bicycle accident lawyer in Salt Lake City UT understands that recovery often results in high medical bills and substantial loss of income from being unable to work. Our legal team has been helping bike accident victims for more than 25 years and would be happy to meet and discuss what your legal options are if you have been injured in a bike accident.
Bike Accident Victims
National data that is collected about bicycle accidents is reported each year. These findings include:
1. The average age of bike accident victims is 44 years of age. This number has raised significantly over the years. In 1988, the average age of bike accident victims was 24 and 32 years of age in 1998.
2. More than 80 percent of victims killed in bike accidents are male.
3. Almost 70 percent of fatal bike accident occur in urban areas.
4. The time of day that sees the most amount of fatal bike accidents is the three hours between 6 and 9 p.m., when more than 20 percent of bike accident deaths occur.
5. Alcohol is a major issue in bike accidents, with approximately 30 percent of all bike crashes classified as alcohol-related.
National statistics also show that most cyclists are struck at an angle, as opposed to head-on. A top rated bicycle accident lawyer Salt Lake City UT clients recommend knows that there are certain behaviors by both vehicle drivers and cyclists which contribute to bike accidents:
- Vehicle drivers failing to see cyclists.
- Vehicle drivers or passengers opening vehicle doors into cyclists.
- Cyclists failing to stop at red lights or stop signs
- Cyclists failing to ride with traffic, but instead ride into oncoming traffic.
Common Bicycle Accident Injuries
A top rated bicycle accident lawyer in Salt Lake City UT knows the majority of injuries that bike accident victims suffer happen to the upper and lower limbs. Also frequently injured are the head, face, stomach, neck, and thorax area. Many cyclists also suffer road rash. Some of the most documented injuries include:
1. Head area injuries include brain contusions, concussion, hemorrhage, and skull fracture.
2. Facial injuries include contusions, dental fractures, facial fractures, as well as eye injuries such as damage to the cornea.
3. Chest injuries include injuries to the lungs and fractures to the ribs.
4. Abdomen area injuries include bowel contusions, heart perforation, liver lacerations, renal contusion, spleen rupture, and traumatic hernia.
5. Musculoskeletal injuries include dislocations, fractures, and strains. Wrists and collarbones are particularly vulnerable to fractures in bike accident injuries.
6. Soft tissue and skin injuries include contusions, lacerations, and road rash, which can result in permanent nerve or tissue damage.
Call a Top Rated Bicycle Accident Lawyer in Salt Lake City UT for Help
If you have been injured in a bike accident, a Salt Lake bike accident lawyer can further explain to you that you may be entitled to financial damages for the medical expenses for injury treatment, as well as loss of income from not being able to work. You may also be entitled to financial compensation for other losses you may have suffered. Contact a top rated bicycle accident lawyer in Salt Lake City UT from Rasmussen & Miner at (801) 363-8500 to find out how we can help.