Call this direct line and speak with Rob immediately: (801) 363-8500
Pedestrian & Bicycle Accident Lawyer Salt Lake City
Filing a Pedestrian or Bike Accident Injury Claim in Utah
Our pedestrian & bicycle accident lawyer in Salt Lake City knows that if you are struck by a car while riding a bicycle or as a pedestrian, you are covered by Utah’s no-fault auto insurance. It’s important to seek treatment promptly, not only to help you recover but also to document your injuries if there is a dispute with the vehicle owner’s insurance company.
At the law office of Rasmussen & Miner in Salt Lake City, we offer a free initial consultation to answer your questions about no-fault insurance or any other issue related to your pedestrian or bicycle accident.
How No-Fault Insurance Works in Bike and Pedestrian Accidents
Bicyclists and pedestrians who are injured in accidents are covered by the no-fault auto insurance of the vehicle that hit them. If the vehicle is uninsured, then the injured person is covered by their own no-fault auto insurance or the no-fault insurance of a member of their household.
Utah no-fault insurance pays up to $3,000 in medical expenses with no co-pays or deductibles. If a doctor certifies you as having work restrictions, you can also receive a percentage of lost wages for up to 12 months. Our lawyers will file your no-fault claim for you at no charge.
Once the no-fault insurance limit is met (or if you have suffered a permanent injury), you can file a personal injury lawsuit against the driver of the vehicle if he or she was negligent. Examples of negligence include:
- Striking a pedestrian in a crosswalk
- Sideswiping a bicyclist or hitting the rider with the vehicle’s side mirror
- Hitting a bike or pedestrian in an intersection when the bicyclist had the right of way
Call Our Office Now!
Our pedestrian & bicycle accident lawyer Salt Lake City, Utah recommends knows that when you are a pedestrian or bicyclist and have been hit by a car while you were out, there are certain things you should do. For some who are particularly lucky, they may think they should just go home, rest it off, and resume activities as usual. This is not a good idea for many reasons. If you have been hit and do not feel any injuries immediately after the accident, you should still stay at the scene. We understand that immediately following an accident with a car, you likely have many thoughts racing through your head and are not sure of what the best next steps are. However, you should call our bicycle & pedestrian accident lawyer in Salt Lake City to see what we recommend and how we can represent you. Schedule your consultation with our office now.
Top Things to do After an Accident
When you have been injured (or even if you are not sure if you have been injured), our Salt Lake City, UT pedestrian & bicycle accident lawyer has a few recommendations.
- Cool Down. We know, this may be some weird advice. However, if you have the energy to be angry or mad, don’t let that get the best of you. When someone else has hit you with your car you have the right to be mad but the best thing you can do for yourself is to call 9-1-1. Our pedestrian & bicycle accident lawyer in Salt Lake City knows you’ll want a paramedic and a cop at the accident scene as soon as possible and once the adrenaline wears off, your feeling of being mad will quickly turn to pain.
- Check Yourself. When the adrenaline is pumping through you, you may want to check your bike for damage. The most important thing after an accident, however, is you. If you did not have a bike and you were walking, you most likely were not wearing protective gear which means you could have internal bleeding, broken bones, and a cracked skull. You may not feel the pain yet but you may still be seriously injured.
- Get the Driver’s Information. Assuming the driver did not speed off, get as much information as you can. You’ll want their name, their insurance information, and an address. Our Salt Lake City pedestrian & bicycle accident lawyer also encourages you to verify any information they give you either with a driver’s license or their insurance card.
Free Attorney Consultation
Come in with questions, leave with confidence that your pedestrian or bicycle accident case will be handled properly. Call (801) 363-8500 or fill out the contact form on this Web site to schedule a free initial consultation with a pedestrian & bicycle accident lawyer at our Salt Lake City office.