Call this direct line and speak with Rob immediately: (801) 363-8500
How to Choose a Personal Injury Lawyer in Six Steps
As an injured victim, it may be daunting to choose a personal injury lawyer Salt Lake City UT has to offer when there are many choices. Rasmussen & Miner has helped accident victims recover their damages for decades. We are experienced in settling cases for maximum compensation as well as taking cases to trial. We offer the following tips on choosing a personal injury lawyer:
1. Select an attorney who practices personal injury law. The National Law Review reports that in 2011, the United States had 1,225,452 licensed attorneys. Many of those attorneys have never tried a personal injury case or negotiated a fair settlement for an injured client. To help narrow down your choices, ask attorneys these questions:
- Do you have experience representing clients and winning cases similar to mine?
- For how many years have you represented personal injury clients?
- Can you provide references or testimonials from previous clients?
2. Request a personal injury lawyer referral from family members, friends, colleagues, your personal injury physician, and others whose opinions you trust. Referrals can be an excellent way to find a qualified personal injury attorney. A good personal injury lawyer Salt Lake City UT accident victims turn to for assistance can often be found through word of mouth. One may also find referrals online by searching for local reviews of attorneys and legal firms.
3. When choosing a personal injury lawyer in Salt Lake City UT, confirm that they do not earn a fee unless you win your case or a settlement is reached. Though this contingency fee arrangement is common, make sure the attorney doesn’t have an alternative fee structure. Some attorneys require that clients pay up front or require fees, even if they do not help you recover your damages.
4. Ask questions. Before you meet with an attorney, write down your questions and leave room to quote their answers. Later, you could review each attorney’s response to help you make your choice. Here are some example questions to ask a personal injury lawyer Salt Lake City UT residents respect:
- Have you represented personal injury cases that were similar to mine?
- Do you have the resources to handle my injury case?
- Will you be the primary attorney handling my case or will you assign it to a junior associate? If someone else will be mostly handling it, what is their level of experience with cases like mine?
- Do you work on a contingency fee basis, or will you charge me regardless? What is your fee or rate schedule?
- How often will you communicate with me, and will it be by phone, email, letter, or in person?
5. Meet with the lawyer for a free case review. After you have narrowed your choices down to three attorneys or fewer, schedule a consultation with each one. Most lawyers won’t charge for an initial consultation, but confirm this with their legal firm when making the appointment. During this meeting, present your list of questions and be prepared to take notes. If you have documentation regarding your injury, such as medical receipts and physician reports, bring them to your meetings.
6. Choose a lawyer with whom you’re able to communicate and mutually respect. You need to be able to trust the attorney you hire to look out for your best interests. When hiring a personal injury lawyer Salt Lake City UT residents turn to for legal assistance, you should feel confident in their ability to do their job well.
Contact Us Today
After following the above list of suggested steps, you will likely have a very good idea of who you want to choose for your Salt Lake City UT personal injury lawyer. Call Rasmussen & Miner today if you need a personal injury lawyer Salt Lake City UT is proud to have fighting on the behalf of its community.