Call this direct line and speak with Rob immediately: (801) 363-8500
How to Choose a Personal Injury Lawyer in Six Steps
Every year, hundreds of thousands of people are injured in accidents that happened because of carelessness, negligence, and malicious acts. The resulting injuries can be mild to moderate, severe, or life threatening. Unfortunately, thousands more will lose their life. Although the time cannot be reversed, compensation may help to cover the financial losses, as well as, certain non economic damages. If you would like to find out what your legal options may be, please call a personal injury lawyer trusted by Salt Lake City, UT residents from Rasmussen & Miner.
Following an accident that has caused significant harm to you or a loved one, it is prudent you talk with the personal injury lawyer Salt Lake City, UT trusts about your legal rights and options. As an injured victim, it may be daunting to choose a personal injury lawyer Salt Lake City UT has to offer when there are many choices. At Rasmussen & Miner we have decades of experience in offering superb legal advocacy to Salt Lake City residents in times of dire need. We pride ourselves on being outstanding listeners who investigate all of the finite details in a case. Rasmussen & Miner has helped accident victims recover their damages for decades. We are experienced in settling cases for maximum compensation as well as taking cases to trial. What Businesses Need to Know About Personal Injury Claims.
Why Contact Rasmussen & Miner:
- Decades of proven, results driven experience
- We’ve recovered millions in damages
- We have a reputation for being fierce and relentless
- Leading trial lawyers for personal injuries
- Extensive knowledge of the court system
Our firm has established solid relationships with some of the foremost expert witnesses and investigators in the area. Clients who choose us to represent their case can feel confident in knowing that a personal injury lawyer will be handling the matter, and not just a paralegal. Everything is carried out with precision and skill, and it is this strategy, combined with our excellence, that gets results.
Personal Injury Practice Areas
Personal injury cases cover a broad range of accidents and illnesses. Typically, a Salt Lake City, UT personal injury lawyer can proceed with a case when negligence was the cause of the injury, illness, or death. Rasmussen & Miner has recovered damages for clients who have suffered harm in a broad range of accidents. If you’ve been injured in any of the following accidents, please contact the personal injury lawyer Salt Lake City UT calls first as quickly as possible:
- Car accidents
- Motorcycle crashes
- Trucking accidents
- Drunk driving accidents
- Pedestrian and bicycle accidents
- Bike Accidents
- Commercial vehicle accidents
- Medical Malpractice Cases
- Medication errors
- Misdiagnoses and failure to diagnose
- Failure to promptly treat
- Recreation or sports injuries
- Surgery errors
- Nursing errors
- Negligent care by doctors, pharmacists, and other medical professionals
- Anesthesiology errors
- Nursing Home Negligence
- Toxic Torts
Injuries That May Be Compensated
- Broken bones
- Cognitive impairment
- Head trauma
- Internal bleeding
- Loss of limb
- Loss of any of the 5 senses
- Soft tissue damage
- And many others
Although it is impossible to give you an exact value of your claim’s worth, the more serious the injury is, the more likely you are to recover an ample amount that covers losses such as
- Medical care
- Future medical care
- Home modifications
- Lost wages
- Loss of income
- Transportation costs to and from appointments
- Child care
- At home nursing care
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of consortium
In cases that involve gross negligence or a malicious act, a Salt Lake City personal injury lawyer might pursue punitive damages which are meant to punish the liable party for their actions. If you lost a loved one to that wrongdoing of another person, you may recover losses similar to that above as well as others that are not listed.
When Someone Dies from Negligence
If someone loses their life due to the actions of another person, it may be considered a wrongful death. These cases are part of personal injury law and should only be handled by a personal injury lawyer in the Salt Lake City, Utah area who has vast experience. Compensation for a wrongful death may include medical care prior to the death, funeral and burial costs, pain and suffering, loss of income, and more. Statute of limitations for wrongful death cases can vary depending on different elements of the case. The sooner you consult a personal injury lawyer, the better.
We Are a Powerful Voice for Injured People
When a client retains our legal services, we commit ourselves to providing exceptional advocacy, attentiveness, and support from start to finish. As a Salt Lake City, UT personal injury lawyer, we truly care about each and every person we represent and are ready to take care of the legal matters while they focus on their recovery. Some benefits to consider, include:
- We offer superior legal advocacy and representation
- Our entire team of staff is compassionate and supportive
- We have a network of medical experts and other professionals
- All communication between insurance companies can be taken care of by us
- We only settle when we get maximum damages
- We are resilient, fearless, and have recovered millions in damages
Choosing the correct Salt Lake City personal injury can be difficult when there are so many available. We offer the following tips on choosing a personal injury lawyer:
- Select an attorney who practices personal injury law. The National Law Review reports that in 2011, the United States had 1,225,452 licensed attorneys. Many of those attorneys have never tried a personal injury case or negotiated a fair settlement for an injured client. To help narrow down your choices, ask attorneys these questions:
– Do you have experience representing clients and winning cases similar to mine?
– For how many years have you represented personal injury clients?
– Can you provide references or testimonials from previous clients?
- Request a personal injury lawyer referral from family members, friends, colleagues, your personal injury physician, and others whose opinions you trust. Referrals can be an excellent way to find a qualified personal injury attorney. A good personal injury lawyer Salt Lake City UT accident victims turn to for assistance can often be found through word of mouth. One may also find referrals online by searching for local reviews of attorneys and legal firms.
- When choosing a personal injury lawyer in Salt Lake City UT, confirm that they do not earn a fee unless you win your case or a settlement is reached. Though this contingency fee arrangement is common, make sure the attorney doesn’t have an alternative fee structure. Some attorneys require that clients pay up front or require fees, even if they do not help you recover your damages.
- Ask questions. Before you meet with an attorney, write down your questions and leave room to quote their answers. Later, you could review each attorney’s response to help you make your choice. Here are some example questions to ask a personal injury lawyer Salt Lake City UT residents respect:
Have you represented personal injury cases that were similar to mine?
Do you have the resources to handle my injury case?
Will you be the primary attorney handling my case or will you assign it to a junior associate? If someone else will be mostly handling it, what is their level of experience with cases like mine?
Do you work on a contingency fee basis, or will you charge me regardless? What is your fee or rate schedule?
How often will you communicate with me, and will it be by phone, email, letter, or in person?
- Meet with the lawyer for a free case review. After you have narrowed your choices down to three attorneys or fewer, schedule a consultation with each one. Most lawyers won’t charge for an initial consultation, but confirm this with their legal firm when making the appointment. During this meeting, present your list of questions and be prepared to take notes. If you have documentation regarding your injury, such as medical receipts and physician reports, bring them to your meetings.
- Choose a lawyer with whom you’re able to communicate and mutually respect. You need to be able to trust the attorney you hire to look out for your best interests. When hiring a personal injury lawyer Salt Lake City UT residents turn to for legal assistance, you should feel confident in their ability to do their job well.
Errors to Avoid in a Personal Injury Case
When you are injured in an accident caused by another person, the recovery process can be frustrating. Not only are there the physical and emotional aspects to deal with, but quite often victims face financial difficulties as well due to being unable to work while they recover.
Utah law allows victims to pursue damages for the losses they suffer against the at-fault party. A personal injury lawyer Salt Lake City, UT can evaluate your case and determine what compensation you may be entitled to. Call the office of Rasmussen & Miner for a free consultation.
When you are involved in a personal injury case, there are certain things you want to avoid as these can have a negative impact on your case. The following are some of the most common:
There are different types of incidents that require police reports be filed, such as a vehicle accident or assault. When a victim fails to contact police to report an incident, this can cause a huge hole in proving their case.
Take, for example, a vehicle accident. If you are physically able, you should call police at the scene of the crash. The responding officer will collect evidence, interview witnesses, and get whatever other information is required to complete their report. Depending on the circumstances of the crash, they may even issue a traffic violation citation against the at-fault driver.
If you do not call police and there is no police report, how do you prove that the other driver was at fault? In fact, without a police report, you may not even be able to prove there was an accident that caused your injuries.
Getting Medical Attention
When you have been in an accident, it is important to seek out medical assistance, even if you don’t think you have been injured. It is not uncommon for there to be a delay in symptoms for many different types of injuries. For example, it may take several hours or a day or two before symptoms of a concussion show up yet delay in diagnosis can be very dangerous. The same goes for internal injuries.
Secondary to how important this is to your health, it is also important for any personal injury claim you may file against the person who cause the accident. Not only does immediate medical treatment confirm you were injured, it will also confirm that the injury was sustained in the accident. If you wait for days before seeing a doctor, the insurance company could accuse you of being injured after the accident and filing a false claim.
It is also important to follow through with the treatment plan that your doctor develops for you. If you fail to adhere to all of the doctor’s medical instructions, the insurance company could also use this to deny your claim or at least decrease the amount of money they offer in a settlement.
Insurance Company Contact
Another big mistake many victims make is agreeing to give the insurance company a statement without first talking with a personal injury attorney. Remember that insurance companies are in business to make a profit and when they pay out a claim, that cuts into their profit. Insurance adjusters have been trained to ask questions in such a way to elicit responses from victims that can later be used against them to deny their claim.
What is intentional infliction of emotional distress?
Our Salt Lake City, UT personal injury lawyer at Rasmussen & Miner represents victims who have been injured by others’ actions, including the intentional infliction of emotional distress. Though this is a less commonly understood injury, it can have a severely negative effect on the victim. In some cases, the victim commits suicide due to severe depression resulting from the emotional distress. Rasmussen & Miner can help. Our personal injury lawyer can help you pursue compensation from the liable party for your damages. We provide victims a free consultation to determine the value of their injury case.
Call us today to find out more.
Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress
After a review of your case, our personal injury lawyer in Salt Lake City, UT can determine if your distress meets the legal standard for intentional infliction of emotional distress. Generally speaking, it must include reasonable proof that the perpetrator intentionally acted in such a way that their victim sustained tremendous emotional trauma. When this occurs, the victim has the legal right to recover their damages from the person who caused them. Before pursuing this path, it’s a good idea to consult an experienced personal injury lawyer who can determine if the case has legal merit. If you have suffered severe emotional distress because of another’s actions, contact Rasmussen & Miner.
What qualifies as emotional distress for a personal injury claim or lawsuit?
To be eligible for compensation, the distress you have suffered must meet certain criteria for a court to recognize it as damages that are measurable to a personal injury lawyer in Salt Lake City, UT as well as a Judge or jury. In other words, though someone may have treated you with rudeness or disdain, or consistently be offensive toward you in your interactions, these behavior do not necessarily constitute severe emotional distress. Their behavior must be directed tied to the damage you sustained and that damage must be measurable or quantifiable in some way. Here are two examples of victims who might have a valid claim against the perpetrator:
- While someone is driving, another driver intentionally forces them off the road or intentionally hits them. This is not an uncommon type of road rage incident. Whether or not the victim was physically injured, they may have suffered mental or emotional injuries. If one or more of those non-physical injuries prevents them from being able to drive and thus is unable to commute to work, these are measurable damages. It may result in lost wages, severe depression, shame, embarrassment and problems. A personal injury lawyer could pursue compensation for them from the road rage driver.
- A fellow employee covertly harasses someone and makes threats against their safety. The employee reports this behavior to their employer, but the latter takes no action to remedy the situation. As a result, the victim takes time off from work, losing wages as a result and is constantly feeling extremely anxious which has greatly affected their quality of life. With the help of a lawyer, the victim may have a valid personal injury claim against their employer as well as their colleague.
If you believe you are the victim of emotional distress, contact us at Rasmussen & Miner today to schedule a free consultation with our Salt Lake City, UT personal injury lawyer.
An insurance adjuster may also try to get you to sign documents. Don’t ever sign anything without first having personal injury lawyer Salt Lake City, UT look it over. Victims have unknowingly signed away their right to compensation because they didn’t have a Salt Lake City, UT personal injury lawyer deal directly with the insurance company.
When you need representation from a personal injury lawyer in Salt Lake City, UT, call Rasmussen & Miner. We are ready to evaluate your case and do everything we can to bring you justice.