Call this direct line and speak with Rob immediately: (801) 363-8500
Cerebral Palsy Birth Injury
If your child was diagnosed with cerebral palsy, you may want to contact a birth injury lawyer Salt Lake City UT parents trust to help them with their cases. Cerebral palsy and other birth injuries are far too common and can be devastating for the families that experience it. You may be entitled to some compensation to help you and your baby deal with this birth injury, and your Salt Lake City birth injury lawyer may be able to help you build a case.
What Is Cerebral Palsy?
Cerebral palsy is a group of neurological disorders that make muscle coordination and body movement difficult. Generally, most children who have cerebral palsy are born with the condition even if it didn’t result from a birth injury. Sometimes children aren’t diagnosed until they are a few years old. Cerebral palsy is known to occur in as many as four out of every thousand births in the United States and Europe.
What Causes Cerebral Palsy?
As a birth injury lawyer in Salt Lake City UT might explain, the complex part about cerebral palsy is that it’s not always caused by a birth injury. Additionally, it doesn’t always show up immediately after birth.
Cerebral palsy is caused by lack of oxygen to the body or brain, birth trauma, or premature delivery. Cerebral palsy isn’t always due to medical malpractice, but in the cases where it is, common medical malpractice issues may include:
- Not detecting and/or treating infections in the mother during her pregnancy.
- Not monitoring fetal heart rate appropriately before and during labor.
- Not planning and scheduling a c-section for babies that are too large to safely be born naturally.
- Delaying or failing to perform a medically necessary c-section.
- Not detecting a prolapsed umbilical cord.
- Improperly using vacuum and/or forceps to assist with delivery.
When you choose a birth injury lawyer Salt Lake City UT residents rely on, you may have a stronger chance of receiving financial damages. These may help pay for medical bills, and may also compensate for the pain and suffering you and your family have experienced.
3 Types of Cerebral Palsy
The three most common types of cerebral palsy are Spastic cerebral palsy, Athetoid cerebral palsy, and Ataxic cerebral palsy. A birth injury lawyer Salt Lake City UT can provide may be able to tell you how your child’s type of cerebral palsy impacts your case.
- Spastic Cerebral Palsy:This type accounts for 80% of cases and involves tightness in at least one of the muscle groups which makes it difficult to move and grasp objects.
- Athetoid Cerebral Palsy:This accounts for around 10% of cases and causes slurred speech, involuntary movement, difficulty swallowing, low muscle tone, and inability to maintain posture.
- Ataxic Cerebral Palsy:This also accounts for around 10% of cases and causes a distorted sense of balance, depth perception problems, difficult with coordinated muscle movements, and tremors.
Call a Birth Injury Lawyer Salt Lake City UT Families Depend On
If your baby was injured at birth, you don’t have to build your case alone. You may be eligible for damages to help you pay for medical bills. Call a birth injury lawyer Salt Lake City UT families trust at Rasmussen & Miner at (801) 363-8500 today.