Call this direct line and speak with Rob immediately: (801) 363-8500
Medical Negligence Lawsuits
Because malpractice lawsuits are often challenging to win, it can be important to choose a medical negligence lawyer Salt Lake City UTvictims turn to when seeking justice. At Rasmussen & Miner, our legal team has successfully represented medical negligence clients for the last two decades. Our lawyers understand the challenges of winning medical negligence lawsuits and what it takes to recover damages on behalf of victims and their families.
If you have suffered as a result of a physician’s negligent act, do not hesitate to contact our office immediately. A medical negligence lawyer Salt Lake City UT is proud to have in the community may help you get the justice you deserve. At Rasmussen & Miner, we can arrange a confidential, no obligation initial consultation with one of our attorneys free of charge. The following general information about medical malpractice may be helpful to review prior to meeting with a medical negligence lawyer.
Proof of Negligence
Proving that a medical practitioner’s negligent behavior caused you to suffer an injury may be difficult. A medical negligence lawyer Salt Lake City UT injury victims trust could help determine what your doctor did wrong and how he or she could have avoided it. Proof will likely have to come from one or more of the following:
- The doctor’s written or recorded notes about the medical procedure. Unfortunately, this is not always helpful because the doctor may be less than forthcoming about his or her mistake in treating you.
- Witness testimony from attending medical personnel. If the negligent act occurred in surgery, the surgical support staff and any fellow doctors who were present may have to testify about what they saw. Their knowledge about anything else that might have contributed to your harm could help your case as well.
- X-rays, MRI’s, or any other testing or diagnostic reports. These pre- and post-injury records may assist juries in understanding what otherwise might be a complicated procedure.
Medical Malpractice Experience
Not every attorney is qualified to litigate medical negligence cases. Due to the difficulty of winning medical malpractice lawsuits, even a good Salt Lake City UT medical negligence lawyer may not win every time. However, you probably want to choose a lawyer who has been successful at trying medical negligence cases similar to yours. The complexity of your case and the severity of your damages may influence the number of lawyers who are qualified to represent you.
A medical negligence lawyer Salt Lake City UT residents respect may call on medical experts if needed. Oftentimes, medical negligence lawsuits require medical experts to testify on the plaintiff’s behalf to establish these important points:
- How did the mistake happen?
- Was the mistake avoidable?
- What are the long term consequences of that mistake for the victim?
In answering these critical questions, the expert may explain the situation in terms that non-medical members of the jury can understand. Additionally, the expert should be believable. Not every medical negligence lawyer in Salt Lake City UT has the resources to locate and hire expert medical witnesses who are willing to testify against fellow doctors. The legal team at Rasmussen & Miner have litigated medical negligence cases for the last 20 years. During that time we have built our team of medical experts who have experience testifying in court.
The importance of a medical negligence lawyer Salt Lake City, UT
Proving that a medical professional was negligent and caused an injury as a result is a very tedious, difficult and often time-consuming process. Rasmussen & Miner has numerous years of experience practicing law within the scope of medical malpractice. It is that experience that has provided our team the depth of knowledge that so many victims have come to trust. The team at Rasmussen & Miner understands the pain and suffering that individuals in such circumstances have and are going through. Our team is sensitive to the violation of trust that such negligence can cause. We also have a deep understanding of what constitutes negligence and if and when it is appropriate to proceed with a claim.
Rasmussen & Miner is available to speak with the patient or family member, review the documents and determine the next step. We understand how complicated the process can be and are available from the early stages to provide a consultation.
Examples of health care errors that may warrant a medical negligence lawyer Salt Lake City, UT to file a claim:
- Delayed or wrong diagnosis
- Discharging the patient too early
- Childbirth complications
- Disregarded or incomplete patient history
- Medication errors
- Misreading lab results
- Surgical instruments left in a patient
- Surgery on the wrong part of the body or on the wrong patient
- Inaccurate amount of anesthesia
In our experience, if the following criteria are all relevant, there is a good chance that the case is worth further investigation. Rasmussen & Miner will be able to clarify any details or points of confusion during the initial consultation.
Criteria that must be established for a claim to have any merit:
- There must be evidence of a professional relationship between the health care provider and the patient. If a patient casually asks a doctor for advice at a dinner party, that doctor is not bound by a standard of care. There was no professional relationship since he or she was not directly treating the patient at the time.
- A violation of the standard of care. A medical witness will be necessary to establish a standard of care and show that a violation of that standard occurred. The standard illustrates how the patient should have been treated and that any other professional with similar skill, training and circumstances would have done so.
- There must be an injury that occurred. Without an injury, there is no case.
- It should be confirmed that the injury was caused by the health care professional’s negligence in adhering to the standard.
Medical Malpractice Law FAQ: I was misdiagnosed, can I file a medical malpractice lawsuit?
Whenever a medical condition is misdiagnosed or undiagnosed altogether, the outcome can be devastating. In some cases, death can be the result. In addition to the physical losses, financial strain, loss of income, and emotional distress can accumulate. If life changing debilitation or death occurs, anger and confusion may be something that everyone involved is trying to cope with.
Regardless of what has happened, if you or someone you know was poorly diagnosed, it is recommended that you call a medical negligence lawyer Salt Lake City UT trusts for help.
What Failure to Diagnose Could Mean
Whenever you seek out medical care by a licensed medical professional, or at a medical facility, the doctor’s attention will likely be placed on your complaint. However, if a doctor fails to notice an underlying, or less obvious, condition that is the core cause of your complaint, and that condition worsens, leading to further harm or death, you may have a valid medical malpractice claim.
A medical negligence lawyer in Salt Lake City, Utah will review your case and determine whether or not another medical professional in the same field would have noticed the condition and/or made the same diagnosis. If a different doctor would have not acted in the same manner, it may be considered a breach in the duty of care. In this case, compensation might be available.
Common Misdiagnosed Medical Conditions
Medical doctors are required to go through many years of schooling followed by several more years of training, residency, and internship. Even though they may have extensive experience, mistakes can and do occur.
It is possible that your symptoms are uncommon or even puzzling. Even so, a good doctor should be ready to order different tests so as to better understand the condition. As a medical negligence lawyer Salt Lake City UT relies on, Rasmussen & Miner has handled a large number of claims that involve misdiagnosis, failure to diagnoses, and other forms of medical negligence. Some of the most common conditions include:
- Internal bleeding
- Imminent heart attack
- Spine or brain infection
- Severe pre-eclampsia (HELLP syndrome)
Misdiagnosing or Failing to Diagnose a Tumor or Cancer
Cancer can take many different forms, but it occurs after the body’s cells change, grow, and divide, resulting in impaired function. To stop cancer from spreading, it should be identified and treated as soon as possible.
A case involving a misdiagnosis of cancer is often rife with challenges. By choosing a good Salt Lake City, UT medical negligence lawyer, these types of lawsuits can be won. Some of the most common reasons for misdiagnosed or undiagnosed cancer include:
- Mistake in the laboratory
- Misinterpretation of lab results
- Failure to assess the patient
- Failure to follow up with the patient
- Failure to refer the patient to the right doctor
- Poor screening of the patient
- Discounting the possibility of cancer due to the age or other factors relevant to the patient
Even a short delay in diagnosis can require the patient to undergo a more aggressive form of treatment that carries greater risk. When cancer has not been diagnosed properly, it may be grounds for a medical malpractice lawsuit.
For a consultation with a medical negligence lawyer Salt Lake City UT trusts to handle their cases, call Rasmussen & Miner today!
When it comes to medical malpractice claims, Rasmussen & Miner takes it very seriously. There is no room for negligence in the medical profession. We are passionate about putting responsibility where it belongs. Our team of attorneys relentlessly fight for each and every client so that they are rightfully compensated. Negligent health care professionals must be held accountable. Rasmussen & Miner prides ourselves on providing ethical counseling to deliver just that: accountability for unnecessary injuries. If you need to speak to a Salt Lake City, UT medical negligence lawyer call Rasmussen & Miner today.
Contact Us Today
Rasmussen & Miner is committed to helping medical negligence victims throughout the Salt Lake City, Utah area. If you have been injured or suffered damages due to the negligence of a medical practitioner, contact us immediately. When you need a medical negligence lawyer Salt Lake City UT clients trust, call Rasmussen & Miner.