- Speeding. Motorists may drive above the speed limit for various reasons, from being late to work or following the flow of traffic. Unfortunately, speeding is one of the most common causes of accidents. Drivers who are speeding have less time to react to hazards, increasing the risk of a collision.
- Unsafe lane changes. Sometimes it’s necessary for drivers to switch lanes to get to their destination. However, if they don’t do this with caution, they can cause an accident. For example, if a driver doesn’t have enough room to pass safely in front of another vehicle and still attempts to, they can cause a crash.
- Distracted driving. Drivers may face several distractions while behind the wheel, such as reading a text message or eating lunch. These actions can take your eyes and attention off the road, which can lead to an accident. To avoid accidents, drivers should solely focus on the road ahead.
- Drunk driving. As an auto accident lawyer in Salt Lake City, UT can confirm, drunk driving is another common cause of car accidents. Motorists who have had too much to drink have poor judgment, lowered reaction times and poor focus.
- Fatigued driving. Motorists who are running on little sleep are also in danger of causing an accident. Fatigue can hinder a driver’s ability to focus and react to conditions on the road.
Auto accidents occur every day on Utah roadways. While some of these accidents result from bad weather or poor road conditions, most of them are caused by driver error. Here are the most common causes of auto accidents.